Car accidents can be chaotic. One minute you are perfectly fine; the next minute, you are struggling with injuries or even your life after a Massachusetts high-speed crash. The aftermath of an accident is not a walk in the park either. You have to deal with pain and suffering as well as insurance companies.
A Middleborough car accident lawyer can help you get through the confusing aftermath of a car accident by building a solid case. At the Law Office of Robert C. Shea, our Middleborough personal injury attorneys have handled numerous car accident cases, and we know how to get results.
After getting into a collision in Middleborough, Massachusetts, if you need a car accident attorney, look no further than Robert C. Shea. Our qualified attorneys are ready to fight for the compensation you deserve. For a free consultation, call 508-506-5681.
Table of Contents
Car Accident Statistics
Data from the CDC shows that Massachusetts car accidents killed 400 people in 2019. In 2020, 76,000 crashes were reported, 1000 of which involved pedestrians while 824 involved cyclists. These crashes caused a total of 286 deaths.
How Much Does a Car Accident Lawyer Cost?
Our Massachusetts car accident attorneys at Middleborough charge clients a contingency fee for car accident litigation services. This means that we will deduct our fees from the damages the jury awards you. We do not charge any out-of-pocket or upfront legal fees. You will not have to pay any legal fees unless we recover compensation for you.
At the Law Office of Robert C. Shea, our compassionate attorneys understand that not everyone who seeks our legal services is rich. However, a lack of funds shouldn’t prevent you from pursuing compensation for your car accident.
What Should I Do After A Car Crash?
Following a Massachusetts crash, you should take the following steps to protect your right and interests:
Reach out to law enforcement. This is crucial because the police will record the accident details and file a police report.
Check on Other Involved Parties
As you wait for the police officer(s) or emergency services, check on the other accident victims if your condition allows you. Someone may be in desperate need of first aid.
Swap information with the parties involved in the accident. Ensure you get the names and addresses of the other involved drivers, license plate numbers, insurance company & policy information, and the vehicle identification numbers of the other drivers. While you are at it, also remember to get witness accounts and contact information.
Record the Scene
Document the accident scene by taking photos or videos of your injuries, vehicle or property damage, skid marks, roadway hazards, and the road’s general layout.
Never Admit Fault
Admitting fault for a car accident may hurt your chances of recovering compensation. So, avoid apologizing or saying anything that may be used against you. It is best to keep to yourself unless you are talking to your Middleborough car accident lawyer.
Seek Medical Attention
After collecting vital information, see a doctor even if you don’t have any apparent injuries. Make sure you get a copy of your medical report after your examination.
Call a Middleborough Car Accident Lawyer
Get in touch with Robert C. Shea to help you with the claims process, including negotiations and trial representations.
What is the Average Settlement for a Car Accident?
There is no fixed dollar figure for car accident settlements. Some get a couple of hundred dollars, while others may get millions depending on the facts and details surrounding your case. Your economic and non-economic damages will determine the settlement you will be awarded.
When Should I Get a Car Accident Lawyer for my Auto Accident?
The sooner you retain an attorney for your car accident, the better. This is because insurers begin evaluating your claim right after the accident. So, to protect your rights, you should get a lawyer as soon as possible.
Why do I Need a Middleborough Car Accident Lawyer?
While the law doesn’t require you to hire a lawyer, having an experienced car accident attorney can make the difference in your case. Here are the ways that a Middleborough car accident lawyer can help you and your case:
Case Preparation / Filing a Lawsuit
We can help prepare your case by conducting investigations and collecting evidence to build a solid case. We will look into your case’s details to determine liability and decide whether to file a lawsuit. Once we identify the liable party, we will issue them with a demand letter before filing a claim.
We are experienced negotiators and can negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf to get you the highest amount of compensation possible. Aside from that, we will ensure that you don’t settle for an exploitative low-ball offer.
Trial Preparation & Representation
If negotiations for a settlement are futile, we will take your case to trial. With the knowledge and experience in personal injury cases, we will represent you in court. We will present evidence that supports your claim and try to get a favorable verdict from the judge or jury.
According to statistics, many people who retain an attorney following a car accident get better settlements than those who represent themselves. Let Robert C. Shea help you as you focus on recovery.
How Much Can I Expect To Get For My Damages?
The amount of compensation available will depend on the insurance adjuster or the jury which delivers the settlement verdict. Other factors may play a part too. They include:
- Degree of the Accident
- The permanency of the injuries
- The nature of the injuries
- The lengthiness of the therapy or rehabilitation
- Financial damages, including medical bills and other costs of treatment as well as loss of income
- Non-financial damages like emotional pain and suffering
What Type of Damages Can I Recover?
You can recover the following types of compensation after a Massachusetts car crash:
These damages have a quantifiable monetary value. They include:
- Medical treatment
- Prescription drugs
- Medical or assistive devices like wheelchairs and walking canes
- Rehabilitation or therapy
- Property/vehicle repair or replacement
- Lost income or future earnings
Non-economic damages like pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life or activities, limb loss or disfigurement, emotional distress, and loss of consortium are recoverable. These damages are non-financial because they are not quantifiable in monetary terms.
Massachusetts courts may also award punitive damages to punish the at-fault driver and deter him or her from doing the same in the future. Punitive damages do not compensate for anything.
How is Fault Determined?
Massachusetts’ No-Fault Status
Since Massachusetts follows the “no-fault” auto insurance regulations, every driver must file a car accident claim with their own auto insurer after a car crash regardless of who was at fault. This means that every driver in Massachusetts is required to carry a minimum amount of vehicle insurance coverage in the event an accident occurs.
However, there is an exception to this no-fault system. If your medical bills surpass $2,000 or you suffer broken bones, a considerable loss of vision or hearing, or severe disfigurement, there might be a way around the no-fault system.
A Middleborough car accident attorney from Robert C. Shea can help you decide whether to pursue a personal injury, wrongful death, product liability, or Insurance bad faith claim if your car accident meets the criteria required to bypass the no-fault system.
Massachusetts’ Modified Comparative Negligence
Thanks to section 85 of Mass. Ann. Laws ch. 231, a car accident victim may be able to recover damages even if they were partly at fault. As long as your share of fault doesn’t exceed 51 percent, you can sue for damages against another party. If the claimant is found to be negligent, their recoverable damages will be reduced by their percentage of fault.
How Long Do I Have To File A Claim?
Massachusetts car accident victims have three years from the day of the accident to bring a civil claim against the at-fault party. A Middleborough car accident attorney will ensure you meet this crucial deadline.
How Can a Middleborough Car Accident Lawyer Help me File My Insurance Claim?
Report the claim
You need to report your claim to your insurance company or the at-fault party’s insurer. Robert C. Shea can help with this.
Investigate and collect evidence
A lawyer will investigate your claim with other experts and gather proof to determine liability and your claim worth.
Appeal an unsatisfactory settlement or denied claim
If your car accident claim is denied or you feel like the settlement you have been awarded is inadequate, we can help you appeal such a decision.
What Can I do if Insurance Denied My Claim?
There is still hope if your claim is denied. If your claim is denied, you can file a complaint with Massachusetts’ insurance department.
Do I Have a Case?
After Insurance denies your claim, we will be able to tell if you still have a case after re-evaluating the facts in your case.
What if the Other Driver Doesn’t Have Insurance?
In Massachusetts, every driver must have UM (Uninsured Motorist) coverage in their auto policy to cover them if an uninsured driver injures them. According to UM coverage, your insurer must take the place of the uninsured motorist and compensate you for your injuries.
How Can I Obtain an Accident Report?
You can get a copy of your accident report in Massachusetts by visiting CrashDocs.org and inputting the accident number received from the responding police and the accident date. You will then have to wait 3-5 business days before a copy of the report is uploaded to the system for you to download.
Common Car Accident Injuries
- Back Injuries – Many car accident victims suffer back injuries, some of which result in paralysis.
- Brain Injuries – Injuries to the brain are also common in car accidents because victims tend to hit their heads on objects causing brain trauma.
- Head Injuries – The heads and skulls of many accident victims get injured in accidents when they hit objects.
- Neck Injuries – Neck and back injuries are correlated. In most car accidents, victims suffer neck injuries from the violent impact.
- Internal Injuries – Car accident victims usually suffer internal injuries from the impact of colliding with other objects.
- Facial Disfigurement – Many people have had to undergo face reconstruction after getting into a car accident.
- Leg & Knee Injuries – Broken legs, busted knee caps are a common occurrence in car accidents.
- Spinal Cord Injuries – Backbone injuries are not only common but also severe because they more than likely cause paralysis.
- Death – Many people do not make it in car accidents. Some instantly die on the spot or while being rushed to the hospital.
Types of Car Accidents We Handle
- Driving Under the Influence Accidents – Drunk driving is a common type of car accident that our lawyers can handle.
- Distracted Driving – If you got hurt by a distracted driver in a Middleborough car accident, we can help you hold them accountable.
- Head-on Collisions – We handle accidents where drivers collide with each other head-on.
- Hit & Run Accidents – When you get into a car crash and the at-fault driver flees the accident scene, we can help you get justice.
- Rear-End Accidents – Our car accident lawyers also handle accidents where a driver hits another driver from behind.
- Reckless Driving – This occurs when a driver is traveling without adhering to traffic rules e.g., changes lane too quickly, tailgates, or otherwise recklessly operates a motor vehicle.
- Rideshare Accidents – Our car accident attorneys can help if you got into an accident with a rideshare vehicle like an Uber or Lyft.
- Rollover Accidents – The attorneys at Robert C. Shea also handle accidents whereby vehicles lose control and roll.
- Speeding Accidents – Speeding accidents are common all over the world. We handle car accident cases caused by speeding.
- Uninsured Motorist – If you get into a wreck with an uninsured driver, a qualified Middleborough car accident lawyer can help.
Give A Middleborough Car Accident Lawyer a Call Today!
If you’ve been in a Middleborough car accident or any other car accident in Massachusetts, call (508) 506-5681 to reach the car accident services of Robert C.Shea. Our initial consultation is free and confidential, with no obligation to hire us. Call us at 508-506-5681 for more information about our car accident services.